OBD is the short for On Board Diagnostics. As the name suggests, an OBD2 scan tool is an exclusive diagnostic tool for cars, which is now mandatory for all vehicles in the US. The number 2 in OBD2 stands for the 2nd generation of these tools.
In the simplest terms, OBD2 scan tools are diagnostic scanners, which will warn the user, in case there is a problem with the vehicle. It’s also quite a handy tool to have, as it can assess all sorts of auto problems and offers solutions for fixing the same. It’s easy to use, as well. You just need to plug it, and it will read all the messages that are sent by the on-board diagnostic system of the vehicle. Needless to mention, there are a wide range of options in the market, but how do you choose one? We have some quick tips below!
Choosing a OBD2 scan tool
- First things first, start with a budget. OBD2 scan tools come with all sorts of price brackets, and it largely depends on what you are looking for. A few products are designed to suit the needs of individual car owners, while others are more sophisticated and can help skilled technicians for their job. As with most products, you get what you pay for.
- What kind of car or truck do you own? What are the other vehicles that you use more frequently? Your choice of the OBD2 scan tool also depends on these aspects. Every scan tool is intended and designed for certain kind of vehicles, which makes it easy to sort the options available in the market.
- The third step is to check the operating system, which can be anything from Windows PC, Android, or iOS. The tool you choose should be compatible on all points. Keep in mind that these are like one-time purchases, and hence, it’s best to review a few models and products.
- Check the features. This is probably where your budget is more important. All OBD2 scan tools have different kind of features and in-built elements, which must be checked. Ideally, it’s best to choose something that can detect most of the common issues related to SRS, airbags, transmission, engine and battery backup.
- The help and assistance you get for the OBD2 scan tool is equally important. Most of the current tools can be upgraded. Some products may offer free updates, while others may offer chargeable options. Consider the kind of additional support you expect before making a choice. Also, data storage and logging functions can be handy.
There are many portals, where you can find reviews of different top rated models. These sites are particularly useful for understanding the smaller aspects of buying the best car diagnostic tool, and you find all kinds of expert comments and ideas on the features and inclusions. You can also learn about support offered by different brands.
If you are looking for offers on OBD2 scan tools, check online now!